About Me

My photo
California born and bred 25 year old dance machine now living in Salt Lake City. Sardonically irreverent spinster, DIY decorator & vegan baking enthusiast who enjoys sequins, house plants & malt liquor.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Soyrizo & Black Bean Stuffed Red Peppers

Peppers were on sale 2 for $1 at Smiths and even though I didn't have a plan for them, I knew I couldn't pass them up. I'd been wanting to try making stuffed peppers for awhile and after a quick inventory of my fridge, this is what I came up with. Official taste tester Esther agrees that it was a delicious success.

3-4 red peppers
1 (15 oz) can black beans
1 C cooked brown rice
1/2 - 1 full pkg Soyrizo (I had a little over half a pkg left, but I think a full pkg would be fine)
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 Thai chilis, minced
1 small can tomato sauce
1 lime, juiced
1 T cumin
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut tops off peppers and scrape out the guts. If the peppers don't sit flat, cut a small piece off the bottom. Coat outsides of peppers with olive oil (I have a handy dandy spray bottle. I suggest you also have one).

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and chilis for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add soyrizo and cook until heated through.

Drain black beans and add to skillet. Add rice, tomato sauce, lime juice and cumin. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I added some hot sauce because I have a demon tongue.

Fill a casserole dish with about an inch of water. Place peppers in water and spoon in filling.

Place in oven and cook about 45 minutes.

That's it! It took about 20 minutes for me to throw this all together and I even did yoga while they were in the oven. There are about a million different variations of this I want to try now. Viva la peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment