About Me

My photo
California born and bred 25 year old dance machine now living in Salt Lake City. Sardonically irreverent spinster, DIY decorator & vegan baking enthusiast who enjoys sequins, house plants & malt liquor.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

The infamous pancakes.

I make these pancakes every Sunday and freeze them individually for a quick, healthy breakfast during the week. I also make them for everyone I know and have had several people ask for the recipe. So ladies and gentlemen, I give you so-good-they-can't-be-healthy-but-really-are-not-that-bad pancakes (modified from Vegan with a Vengeance):

1-1/4 C whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 T ground flax seeds (also called "flax meal")
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 T olive oil
1/3 C water
1 C soymilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
handful of chopped walnuts


Sift dry ingredients together in large bowl. In separate bowl, combine wet ingredients. Add wet to dry and stir until JUST mixed (leave lumps!). Set bowl aside in fridge for at least 10 minutes so the gluten will activate and give you nice fuffy pancakes and not hockey pucks.

Heat a medium size skillet over medium heat (4-5ish on my stove). I use a small chunk of Earth Balance margarine to grease the pan but I've also used a tiny bit of olive or canola oil or just plain old generic nonstick spray. Work with what you got. Pour about 1/3 C of batter in a circle and cook until bubbles spring up all over the top. Then flip and cook for about 1-2 minutes. Eat.

I've made these a zillion ways using different flavored milks (pumpkin spice, nog, chai tea concentrate). I've also used different extracts like rum, almond, black walnut etc and different nuts and seeds. Go wild and make the pancakes of your dreams.

1 comment:

  1. You're my hero for this, btw. It's the perfect solution to my crap schedule and even crappier eating habits. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete